By Barbara Schmiedtová
The examine endeavors an in depth and systematic class of linguistic simultaneity expressions. additional, it goals at a good defined survey of the way simultaneity is expressed by way of local audio system of their personal language. at the foundation of actual creation info the e-book solutions the questions of the way local audio system convey temporal simultaneity mostly, and the way rookies at varied degrees of talent care for this example below experimental attempt stipulations. in addition, the result of this learn shed new mild on our knowing of element typically, and on its acquisition via grownup freshmen.
Read Online or Download At The Same Time: The Expression Of Simultaneity In Learner Varieties (Studies on Language Acquisition) PDF
Similar linguistics books
This selection of essays brings a couple of present interdisciplinary debate on specific conversation. With Robyn Carston's pragmatics on the center of the dialogue, distinct awareness is interested in linguistic underdeterminacy, the explicit/implicit divide and in addition to the development or recruitment of recommendations in online utterance comprehension, that is a very contentious region in the broader subject matter of the boundaries of explicitness in linguistic communique.
This well timed ebook explores the talk approximately how top to have interaction childrens within the writing of nonfiction and indicates many tutorial suggestions for K-6 school rooms.
A number of stories have sought to appreciate the character of schooling and the level of literacy in historical Israel, yet none has requested what the traditional Israelites thought of instructing. This examine is the 1st to invite how they conceived of the educating procedure. It furthers our knowing of the traditional Israelites' inspiration of educating, and offers a version for semantic reviews of historic texts grounded in cognitive linguistic thought.
- On the Typology of Negation in Ob-Ugric and Samoyedic Languages
- The Sino-Tibetan Languages (Routledge Language Family Series)
- Aspects of Bilingualism in Wales (Multilingual Matters)
- The Language Phenomenon: Human Communication from Milliseconds to Millennia (The Frontiers Collection)
Extra resources for At The Same Time: The Expression Of Simultaneity In Learner Varieties (Studies on Language Acquisition)
V(e)-, 17. vy-, 18. vz(e)-, 19. z(e)-, 20. za - (Karlík et al 1995: 199 - 217). Each of them is associated with a cluster of meanings, most of them exhibit polysemy and homonymy, and the realization of a given meaning of a prefix is highly dependent on the context in which the prefix occurs. Four main possibilites can be observed here. (1) The verbal prefix modifies the underlying meaning of the verb in a characteristic way. Thus it regularly makes the verb, for instance, inchoative (roz-esmát ‘to start laughing’), resultative (dopsat ‘to write to an end’), etc.
This question could be formulated as follows: Has this topic been mentioned/introduced before? In other words, what information can we obtain from the context when the temporal relations between two situations is left open? 12) The director tried to reach Mary and Peter this morning but he only got a busy signal. Then he was told that Mary and Peter were talking on the phone. 13) The postman entered the room. Mary and Peter were talking on the phone. 14) We wanted to convince Fred to come along.
14) We wanted to convince Fred to come along. During the day, Mary and Peter were talking on the phone trying to get him out of bed. 12), Peter and Mary were talking to each other. , during the time the director was trying to reach them, Mary and Peter were on the phone and talked to each other. 13), the reading is that Mary and Peter were simultaneously on the phone but did not talk to each other because this would not make pragmatic sense. 14), Mary and Peter were neither talking to each other, nor simultaneously, but rather in turns to the third person involved in the story.